Friday, March 6, 2009

The road I must travel.

I am now in Rudesheim am Rein, West Germany. We are all staying in a hotel right on the Rhine river. Quaint little town at the moment, but, from the look of all the closed tourist shops, this place gets pretty hopping in the better seasons.

This morning, I woke up at 5a.m. even though I didn't have to. I drove our Audi rental car about 100 miles west to a little town called Prum. Although I cannot go home for another 8 days, my journey is now complete. We started in Wieden, (pronounced Vieden), moved to Rudesheim, tomorrow we move to Mannheim. Then I get to go home. The euro-trip is done.

Of my goals on this trip, I have accomplished only one. I didn't get to go see my buddy in Berlin. I didn't lose as much weight as I would have liked(damn you pilsner!)...
But, Prum, the little town of Prum, in the far east side of the Ardennes forest, oh yes. I did go there. I stood on the front lines of the Axis powers. I stood where a massive Nazi killing machine was preparing their advance. I saw the future, and the past. A clash of titans with one million casualties. I stood the grounds of A.H. Miles. I threw my only silver dollar on the pine needle and snow covered ground. There was no Guard on the Rhine today. Thanks to good men, the Ardennes was quiet.

My month and a half German journey is complete. Baby, the Midnight Rider is ready to come home. And, by the way, I need another silver dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment